26 August 2010

except it's played in theatres that I get very weary in

Packing out now, and will have to find something to do with myself between leaving the B&B and going in for The Winter's Tale. In the lobby on Tuesday afternoon an usher approached me with an economic impact survey, so I've spent the last few minutes collating my receipts, and good grief I've spent a lot of money on the past few days. But on the other hand, I am on vacation, and as week-long vacations go, it's probably actually not as pricey as it could be.

Next year's season is announced: in the big house, The Merry Wives of Windsor, which I will probably be in favor of, depending on the cast; Camelot, which I saw some years ago and have no reason to suppose this isn't a remount of the same production, so there's no need; Twelfth Night, which I'll probably see no matter the cast; and The Misanthrope, which I may need to be talked into, because I do have to be in the right frame of mind for Molière. In the proscenium, Jesus Christ Superstar, which I love, but no, thank you; The Grapes of Wrath, which I have mixed feelings about; and The Homecoming, about which I know nothing. In the barn, Richard III, which I will probably see, and Titus Andronicus, which I will not. And in the black box, The Little Years, which I imagine is a new Canadian play; Shakespeare's Will, which I imagine is just what it sounds like; and Hosanna, which I imagine is a one-man or -woman show of some kind. This is a season in which I am grabbed by three shows, maybe four (Twelfth Night, Richard, Merry Wives, possibly Misanthrope or Grapes of Wrath but not likely both and possibly neither). Especially given that this year's costs include finally finding the DVDs of the Gilbert & Sullivan productions from the 80's that I haven't been able to buy separately before, it looks like next year will be a much less expensive trip. :-D

(much later)

Well, The Winter's Tale was outstanding. The guy we saw as Brutus last year was Leontes, and he was just so good - the standout in an all-around excellent cast. Best bit of all: at the very end, as everyone has left, Leontes and Hermione are left alone at opposite ends of a bare stage, and they step towards each other and as they're reaching for each other the lights go to black. It was so perfect, after the whole play making such a row about his accusations and her trial and death being so public, that finally at the very end of the play they get a moment that's private. ~love~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home